Become a Volunteer Therapy Animal Team Today!
How do you know if you and your pet are ready to volunteer?
Please see the PetPartners.org website for a list of prerequisites to becoming a therapy animal team through their program.
The path to becoming a Pet Partners team starts with the right animal. It is important to understand the skill requirements before you start pet therapy training. Here are a few questions to ask yourself before getting involved in volunteering with your pet.
• Does your animal like all types of people?
• Does your animal like meeting new people and being petted by strangers?
• Is your animal comfortable and confident going to new places?
• Does your animal like other pets, especially other dogs?
• Can your animal walk, stand and move for one-two hours?
• Does your animal tolerate new sites, sounds, flooring textures, furniture and equipment?
• Does your animal know basic obedience and can be controlled in variety of settings?
• Do you like meeting and talking to new people?
• Are you committed to the time it takes to get your animal ready for each pet therapy visit (bathing/brushing)?
|Step 1||Step 2||Step 3||Step 4|
|See if your team is ready||Create Pet Partners Account||Complete the Handler Course||Pass Team Evaluation &
Who We Are
Pet Partner's mission is to improve human health and well-being through the human-animal bond. Pet Partners of North Florida is a Community Partner, an all volunteer non-profit charitable organization. We are a diverse group from all walks of life, where our teams are approved to include 9 different species. We assist in the preparation for a team to become registered in the Pet Partners Therapy Animal Program. We are committed to providing every potential handler access to all the education, assistance and tools needed to become a successful therapy animal team.
The next Handler Workshop Course will be an all day event from 9am - 5pm on Satuday March 20th, 2021 at Watson Realty Corp, 4194 San Juan Avenue, Jacksonville, Florida 32210
The next Team Evaluation will be on March 27th, 2021 at Ponte Vedra Presbyterian Church, 4510 Palm Valley Road, Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida 32082. - Open to dogs, cats and small Pet Partner approved species.